|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Cheese and ham team up in this delicious pasta casserole. I used a 3-cheese blend of cheeses, but feel free to use Cheddar or your own favorite blend. Serve this flavorful ham and rotini casserole with sliced tomatoes or a tossed salad for a perfect everyday family dinner.
- 6 ounces rotini
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or butter
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 pound ham, diced
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch (about 8) green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk, low fat is fine
- 6 ounces shredded cheese, blend or Cheddar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided (or about 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese)
Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a 2-quart casserole.
Cook rotini in boiling salted water following package directions. Drain, rinse and set aside.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the celery and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Add the ham and cook for 5 to 10 minutes longer, until ham is lightly browned and celery is tender. Add garlic and green onions and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat and set aside.
In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and stir until blended. Add milk and cook, stirring, until thickened. Stir in the shredded Cheddar cheese and salt and pepper, to taste. Continue cooking until cheese has melted. Add the drained rotini and the ham and vegetable mixture to the sauce. Stir gently to blend. Stir in half of the Parmesan cheese.
Transfer the pasta mixture to the prepared casserole. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese over the mixture. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned.
You Might Also Like