A homemade seasoned egg and milk combination helps to pull this tasty ham and spinach casserole together, and the Swiss cheese provides nice flavor.
This is a quiche-like dish that can be served as a brunch or lunch dish. Add a cup of soup or a tossed salad for a hearty meal.
- 10 ounces spinach (frozen, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon pimiento (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon basil (dried and crushed)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes (or 1 tablespoon fresh minced parsley)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups ham (diced and cooked)
- 1 cup Swiss cheese (shredded; you can also use Monterey Jack or Cheddar)
- 1 cup of french-fried onions (or buttered bread crumbs)
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Butter a 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
Cook spinach; drain well. Add the butter and stir until it's melted.
In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, milk, onion, pimento, mustard, basil, parsley, and salt. Whisk to blend and then stir in the diced cooked ham, shredded cheese, and spinach.
Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle top with French-fried onions or buttered bread crumbs.
Squeeze as much moisture out of the spinach as possible.
Feel free to use fresh or frozen mixed greens or Swiss chard instead of spinach in the recipe. Steamed broccoli florets would be very good in the recipe as well.