These Southern-style lima beans are cooked to perfection in the slow cooker. Ham hocks and tomatoes add flavor along with chopped aromatic vegetables and herbs. If you have diced leftover ham, add it to the lima beans along with the tomatoes.
Feel free to add or omit vegetables. Diced carrots, garlic, jalapeno peppers, and celery may be added for extra flavor and color. Or, for some heat, add about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes. Canned chili-seasoned tomatoes or fire-roasted tomatoes are excellent choices as well.
- 1 pound dried lima beans, soaked overnight, drained
- 2 smoked ham hocks (large)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (or a 14.5-ounce can)
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Place the lima beans in the crock pot and add the ham hocks, bay leaves, onion, bell pepper, sugar, and ground cloves, if using. Cover with water. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.
- Turn heat to low and cook for 2 hours longer, or until the lima beans are tender. Remove the ham hocks to a plate. When they are cool enough to handle, remove the meat and chop it. Return the chopped ham to the crock pot.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato sauce. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
- Continue cooking on low for 2 to 4 hours longer.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|