|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 43g||55%|
|Saturated Fat 18g||88%|
|Total Carbohydrate 35g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||10%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
|Vitamin C 17mg||85%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This mashed potato-topped hamburger casserole recipe is easy to prepare and bake, and it makes a great family meal. It's a homey mixture of ground beef, topped with mashed potatoes and shredded cheese. It's a simple one-dish meal you'll make again and again.
The seasoned hamburger layer is similar to a meatloaf mixture. I added about 3/4 cup of cream style corn to the casserole just before adding the mashed potato topping.
If your family can't get enough mashed potatoes, use about 4 cups. Serve with steamed broccoli, cream-style corn, or your family's favorite sides.
Gather the ingredients. Heat the oven to 350 F.
In a small bowl, soak the breadcrumbs in milk.
In a large bowl, mix the ground beef with the bread crumb mixture, along with the salt, pepper, onion, and the beaten egg.
Pat the meat mixture into a 9-inch pie plate. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove the ground beef from the oven and carefully pour off the excess fat.
Top the meat with the mashed potatoes; sprinkle with cheese. If desired, sprinkle lightly with paprika.
Return to oven for about 15 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted and potatoes are thoroughly heated.
Glass Bakeware Warning
Do not use glass bakeware when broiling or when a recipe calls to add liquid to a hot pan, as glass may explode. Even if it states oven-safe or heat resistant, tempered glass products can, and do, break occasionally.
- If you don't have leftover mashed potatoes and don't have time to make fresh, use ready-made mashed potatoes. Heat them in the microwave and spread them on the casserole.
- To add more color to the cheese topping, place the casserole under the broiler for a minute or two. Or turn the oven up to 425 F about 5 minutes before the casserole is ready.
- Before topping the baked ground beef with the mashed potatoes, top it with about 1 cup of cooked corn kernels or about 1/2 cup to 1 cup of cream corn.
- Use a combination of cheddar and mozzarella cheese for the topping.
- For a version with more vegetables, try the Hearty Hamburger and Potato Casserole.