Make this hamburger and pasta skillet dish with egg noodles or pasta. Macaroni or penne pasta -- as pictured -- are both good choices. Tomatoes, chili sauce, and tomato paste give it vibrant tomato color and flavor. Besides the great flavor, the fact that it's made in one skillet makes it especially appealing.
If you choose to omit the bacon, heat a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil to the skillet before you add the onion and ground beef. Plain diced tomatoes work well in the dish, but feel free to amp up the flavor with seasoned zesty chili-style tomatoes or chopped stewed tomatoes.
Serve this easy, flavorful skillet meal with a simple vegetable salad and crusty rolls or biscuits.
- 2 strips bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chili sauce (not Asian)*
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups egg noodles, uncooked (or about 1 1/2 cups mini penne or elbow macaroni, approximately 6 ounces)
- 3/4 cup water or unsalted beef stock
- In a large heavy skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels and set aside.
- Add onion to the bacon drippings and cook for 2 minutes. Crumble the ground beef into the skillet and continue cooking until the beef is no longer pink, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomatoes, green bell pepper, chili sauce, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, and a dash of pepper. Stir to blend.
- Add the uncooked noodles or pasta to the ground beef mixture along with water or stock.
- Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 30 minutes, or until the noodles are tender. Check after about 20 minutes and add more water or stock, if necessary.
- Crumble the drained bacon and add it to the dish or use it as a garnish.
*Chili sauce can be found near the ketchup and cocktail sauce in the grocery store.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|