Hamburger steaks—or Salisbury steaks—always make a satisfying family dinner, and many consider them comfort food. This version is especially easy because the gravy is made with condensed cream of mushroom soup. It's also filled with chopped vegetables, making it a good way to get kids to eat their veggies. Feel free to add some gravy browning sauce to the soup.
- 2 1/2 pounds lean ground beef (80/20 to 85/15)
- 1/4 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup green pepper (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 teaspoon gravy browning sauce (such as Gravy Master or Kitchen Bouquet)
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven 350 F.
In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, celery, green pepper, onion, garlic salt, ground pepper, eggs, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
Form the ground beef mixture into patties (about 6 to 6 1/2 ounces each) and then dust them with flour; arrange the hamburger steaks in a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
Pour the condensed soup in a saucepan and add browning sauce, if desired. Mix well and heat until it begins to simmer.
Pour mushroom soup over the steaks.
Bake about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the beef is thoroughly cooked.
**According to the USDA, the minimum safe temperature for ground beef is 160 F (ground poultry is 165 F).**
- Ground beef loses roughly 25 percent of its weight—fat, and moisture—when cooked. Each 6 1/2-ounce raw patty should yield a 5-ounce cooked patty.
- Use ground chuck with about 15 to 20 percent fat for the moistest, most flavorful hamburger steaks.
- Add a splash of dry red wine to the gravy mixture for depth of flavor.
- For mushroom gravy, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the saucepan and saute about 6 ounces of sliced mushrooms over medium-low heat until tender and golden brown. Add the cream of mushroom soup and browning sauce, if using. Bring to a simmer and then pour over the hamburger steaks. Proceed with the recipe.