Hamburger steaks — sometimes called Salisbury steaks — are classic comfort food. Salisbury steaks are typically made with ground beef and seasonings. This version includes some fine dry bread crumbs and grated onion. The easy mushroom gravy is a simple pan gravy, and it is the perfect sauce for these delicious hamburger steaks. Add the optional red wine for extra flavor.
Serve these tasty hamburger steaks with mashed potatoes and your choice of vegetable. Add a little red wine to the gravy for even more flavor. If you aren't a fan of mushrooms, feel free to leave them out.
- 1 to 1 1/4 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 3 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dry red wine, optional
- Combine ground beef, pepper, salt, seasoned salt, and bread crumbs. Shape into 4 oval patties.
- Heat oil in a skillet or saute pan over medium heat; fry the patties for about 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove patties to warm plate and keep warm.
- Pour off all but about 2 tablespoons of the drippings. Add mushrooms to the drippings and cook until tender.
- Add flour to the mushrooms and drippings in the skillet; cook for about 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Add the beef broth and wine, if using; cook, stirring, until the gravy has thickened.
- Pour the gravy over the steaks and serve with mashed potatoes or scalloped potatoes and a vegetable side dish.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||31 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|