|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 47g||60%|
|Saturated Fat 18g||89%|
|Total Carbohydrate 42g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||16%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This easy ground beef mixture is topped with soft biscuit dough and then the casserole is baked until the topping is browned. I used a small carton—about 1 1/2 cups—of crushed tomatoes in the casserole instead of tomato soup, and it was very good.
It's meant to be turned out onto a platter, but I found it easy to scoop servings with a large spoon.
Serve this ground beef casserole with a tossed salad or fresh sliced tomatoes for a nice everyday meal. If you like this casserole, you might also want to try Classic Hungry Jack Beef and Biscuits Casserole.
- 1 pound ground beef (at least 85% lean)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup celery (sliced)
- 1/4 cup onions (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 small clove garlic (finely minced)
- 1 can/10 3/4 ounces condensed tomato soup (or 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes)
- Parsley Biscuit Topping:
- 2 cups flour (sifted and all-purpose)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold shortening
- 3 tablespoons butter (cold)
- 1/4 cup parsley (minced and fresh)
- 1 cup milk
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 425 F/220 C/Gas 7.
In a large, heavy oven-safe skillet or Dutch oven, brown the ground beef in hot oil. Add remaining celery, onions, bell pepper, 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic, and tomato soup. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Drop parsley biscuit topping (instructions below) over hot mixture in skillet.
Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown.
Carefully turn the casserole out (upside-down) onto a large platter OR scoop servings out onto plates with a spoon. Serve immediately.
Make the Biscuit Topping
Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. With fingers, a pastry blender, or forks, in the shortening and butter. Stir in parsley and milk, only until flour is moistened. Drop onto the hot ground beef mixture and gently spread. Bake as directed above.
You Might Also Like