Hank Shaw is an award-winning food writer, cookbook author, chef, and wild foods enthusiast. He's an expert in hunting, foraging, and gardening.
Contact Hank at email@example.com.
- Expert in harvesting and preparing wild game, fish, and foraged food
- Author of four cookbooks
- 2013 James Beard Award winner
- Trained chef
Hank Shaw is a former writer for The Spruce. After 18 years of experience as a journalist, Hank turned to food writing as a career. He has sustained himself with angling, hunting, and foraging, becoming an expert in preparing wild foods.
He began his award-winning website Hunter Angler Gardener Cook in 2007. He has published over a thousand recipes and four cookbooks on wild game and foraged food. He also contributes writing to magazines and newspapers, including Food & Wine and Field & Stream.
Hank has made many television appearances, including "Bizarre Foods America" with Andrew Zimmern and "Somebody's Gotta Do It" with Mike Rowe.
After receiving a master's degree in history, Hank Shaw learned culinary arts as a line cook and sous chef. He honed his writing as a journalist for 18 years. As an angler, hunter, gardener, and forager he learned to harvest and use wild and locally grown foods.
Awards and Publications
- Winner of the 2019 Best Self-Published Book from the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP)
- Winner of the 2016 Best Book Award from the Outdoor Writers Association of America
- 2013 James Beard Award for Individual Food Blog, plus nominations in 2009 and 2010
- 2010 and 2011 Best Blog Award from the International Association of Culinary Professionals
- Cookbook "Pheasant, Quail, Cottontail: Upland Birds and Small Game From Field to Feast," 2018
- "Buck, Buck, Moose: Recipes and Techniques for Cooking Deer, Elk, Moose, Antelope, and Other Antlered Things," 2016
- "Duck, Duck, Goose: Recipes and Techniques for Ducks and Geese, Both Wild and Domesticated," 2013
- "Hunt, Gather, Cook: Finding the Forgotten Feast," 2011
About The Spruce Eats
The Spruce Eats, a Dotdash brand, is a food and drink website offering more than 15,000 tested recipes, 1,200 how-to videos, informative articles, trustworthy product recommendations, and the inspiration to help you make your best meal. Learn more about us and our editorial process.