- Expert in harvesting and preparing wild game, fish, and foraged food.
- Author of four cookbooks on wild game and foraging.
- 2013 James Beard Award for Individual Food Blog for "Hunter Angler Gardener Cook," and nominations for the award in 2009 and 2010.
- 2016 Best Book Award from the Outdoor Writers Association of America for "Buck Buck Moose."
Hank Shaw is a former writer for The Spruce. He had 18 years of experience as a journalist before turning to food writing as a career. He has sustained himself with angling, hunting, and foraging, becoming an expert in preparing wild and foraged foods.
As a food writer, he began his website "Hunter Angler Gardener Cook" in 2007. He has published over 1100 recipes and four cookbooks on wild game and foraged food. He also contributes writing to magazines and newspapers, including Food & Wine and Field & Stream.
Hank Shaw has made many television appearances, including "Bizarre Foods America" with Andrew Zimmern and "Somebody's Gotta Do It" with Mike Rowe.
After receiving a master's degree in history, Hank Shaw learned culinary arts as a line cook and sous chef. He honed his writing as a journalist for 18 years. As an angler, hunter, gardener, and forager he learned to harvest and use wild and locally-grown foods.
Awards and Publications
- 2013 James Beard Award for Individual Food Blog, plus nominations in 2009 and 2010
- 2010 and 2011 Best Blog Award from the International Association of Culinary Professionals
- Cookbook "Buck Buck Moose: Recipes and Techniques for Cooking Deer, Elk, Moose, Antelope, and other Antlered Things" 2016. Winner of the 2016 Best Book Award from the Outdoor Writers Association of America.
- Cookbook "Hunt, Gather, Cook: Finding the Forgotten Feast" 2011
- Cookbook "Duck, Duck, Goose: Recipes and Techniques for Ducks and Geese, both Wild and Domesticated" 2013
- Cookbook "Pheasant, Quail, Cottontail: Upland Birds and Small Game from Field to Feast" 2018. Winner of the 2019 Best Self-Published Book from the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP).
About The Spruce
The Spruce, a Dotdash brand, is a new kind of home website offering practical, real-life tips and inspiration to help you create your best home. The Spruce family of brands, including The Spruce, The Spruce Eats, The Spruce Pets, and The Spruce Crafts collectively reach 30 million people each month.
For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the Internet according to comScore, a leading Internet measurement company, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Our brands collectively have won more than 20 industry awards in the last year alone and, most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the Year by Digiday, a leading industry publication.