|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 36g||46%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||67%|
|Total Carbohydrate 72g||26%|
|Dietary Fiber 13g||47%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This tender slow cooker pot roast is made with a flavorful homemade gravy. If you don't care for rutabaga, use turnips or parsnips or add more potatoes and carrots.
We used a boneless beef chuck roast, but a 7-bone roast, rump roast, or bottom round would work as well.
- 6 slices bacon (halved crosswise)
- 2 pounds potatoes, red-skinned or Yukon Gold (peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 1 small rutabaga (cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 4 to 6 carrots (peeled, cut into 2-inch lengths, halved lengthwise)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (dried and divided)
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds)
- 1 bag/16-ounces small white onions (frozen)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (scrubbed and left whole, halved if large)
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
Steps to Make It
Place bacon over the bottom of the crockpot.
Arrange potatoes, rutabaga, and carrots over the bacon. Sprinkle lightly with salt, pepper, and half of the thyme.
Place the pot roast on the vegetables, then add onions, and mushrooms over and around the roast. Sprinkle lightly with salt, pepper, and the remaining thyme.
Combine beef broth and tomato paste; pour over the pot roast.
Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
Remove the pot roast to a warm platter. With a slotted spoon, remove vegetables and arrange around the roast. Cover and keep warm.
Separate fat and broth using a fat separator, or skim the fat off the top of the broth; discard fat.
Put the broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
In a cup or a small bowl, whisk the flour with water until smooth. Whisk the flour mixture into the broth until thickened and bubbly.
Serve gravy with the meat and vegetables.