This delicious hash brown casserole is perfect for a large brunch or dinner, or take it along to a potluck gathering. Use light sour cream and soups to make this casserole a bit lower in fat.
The hash brown bake is an excellent dish to serve with a big family breakfast as well. Feel free to omit the green onions if you'd like.
If you prefer a recipe without condensed soup, try this hash brown casserole.
- 1 (30-ounce) package frozen hash brown potatoes (thawed)
- 10 tablespoons melted butter (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1 cup soft fresh breadcrumbs
Grease a 2- to 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Heat oven to 350 F.
In a large bowl, combine the thawed potatoes, 8 tablespoons of the melted butter, salt, pepper, sour cream, the cream of celery and cream of chicken soups, onion, and 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese.
Spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish.
In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter until well blended.
Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the casserole, then top with the buttered breadcrumbs.
Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until hot and lightly browned.
Serve and enjoy!
- Instead of bread crumbs, top the casserole with crumbled French fried onions.
- For a vegetarian casserole, replace the cream of chicken soup with cream of mushroom.