Here's a classic hash brown casserole recipe. It's made with sour cream, cheese, and frozen hash brown potatoes.
Feel free to add a buttered bread crumb topping to this casserole for some extra texture and crunch. See the tips and variations for more.
- 1 package (about 30 ounces) frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter or margarine, melted
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion or about 1/4 cup of finely chopped onion
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar or colby cheese, or a similar combination
Heat the oven to 350 F.
Butter a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the thawed hash browns with the melted butter.
Add the sour cream, condensed soup, onion, and cheese to the potatoes; blend well.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking pan.
Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
Tips and Variations
- If desired, add a bread crumb topping. Toss 1 cup of fine soft bread crumbs with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Sprinkle over the hash brown potato casserole and bake as directed.
- Use cream of celery or cream of mushroom soup in place of the cream of chicken.
- Toss about 1/2 cup of crushed cornflakes with 1 tablespoon of melted butter and sprinkle over the potatoes.
- Use a half-and-half blend of American and cheddar cheeses, or a cheddar jack blend.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||37 g|
|Saturated Fat||15 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|