Grabbing a slice of pineapple and ham pizza is nothing out of the ordinary, but what about transforming that dish into an exotic grilled cheese filled with sweet vibrant chunks of fresh pineapple, spicy rings of pickled jalapeños, milky strands of melted mozzarella and a umami-esque tomato sauce. All these ingredients melodically combine to help pack this Hawaiian pizza style grilled cheese full of flavor. Want more protein? Add some ham or pepperoni – Either way, this sandwich is to die for.
- 2 slices Texas toast
- 1/2 cup mozzarella (shredded)
- 2 tbsp. pineapple
- 2 tbsp. pizza sauce
- Optional: 2 tbsp. pickled jalapeños
- 2 tsp. butter (salted)
- Begin by assembling the sandwich. On one piece of Texas toast, add half of the cheese. Next, add the pineapple and the jalapeños - more or less depending on how spicy you like it. Now add the remaining cheese.
- On the other slice of bread with nothing on it, smear the tomato sauce on evenly and close the sandwich. Carefully butter both sides of the sandwich and set aside.
- In a medium sized cast iron skillet, take your buttered sandwich and let it cook for a few minutes on each side until the bread begins to crisp up and transitions into a golden brown color.
- Once this is achieved, flip the sandwich and repeat. Once both sides have browned and the cheese has melted all the way through, remove the sandwich from the heat and let sit for 1 minute so that the cheese can thicken up and glue all the ingredients together.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||46 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|