This Mexican 7 layer dip is also really healthy. Although the avocados and black olives have fat, it is the good kind of mono-unsaturated fat. And the cheese and beans are packed with protein and calcium. Even the salsa is loaded with lycopene.
If you like, make your own guacamole and tomato salsa. Or just use store-bought. Enjoy!
- 3 cups iceberg lettuce (shredded)
- 16 ounces refried beans (vegetarian, 1 can)
- 1 1/2 cups salsa (prepared)
- 1 cup guacamole (prepared)
- 8 ounces low-fat sour cream (or fat-free)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (mild)
- 1 to 2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Garnish: sliced black olives
Gather the ingredients.
Spread lettuce in an even layer in a deep-dish pie plate, gratin dish or serving bowl.
Spread refried beans over lettuce. (Hint: To make the beans easier to spread, transfer them to a microwave-safe container, and heat on high for 20 seconds.)
Top with salsa, then guacamole.
Stir together sour cream and chili powder. Spread over the guacamole layer.
Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the sour cream layer. Dot with sliced black olives.
Serve with tortilla chips.