This recipe for healthy banana bread is prepared with several smart swaps as well as heart-healthy mix-ins for a hearty baked good that is sure to become a staple in your recipe box.
First, oil is used instead of butter and the amount is reduced by adding low-fat banana-flavored yogurt. Yogurt can add and maintain moisture in baked goods similar to the way oil can without adding fat. Vanilla-flavored or plain yogurt also work well. In addition, milled flaxseed is incorporated into the recipe. Ground flaxseed is a soluble fiber that absorbs moisture and forms a gel. This actually helps retain moisture in the quick bread while keeping it soft and moist.
While some of the fats are swapped out, good fats are mixed in. Fragrant and delicious toasted walnuts are added to the batter as a great source of omega-3 fatty acids.
Finally, this healthy banana bread has added fiber compared to traditional banana bread. Half of the all-purpose flour is swapped with whole wheat flour. Plus, there is additional fiber and texture from the whole flax seeds sprinkled on top.
- 1/2 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups ripe bananas (mashed)
- 1/3 cup low-fat banana-flavored yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup flaxseeds (ground)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons flaxseeds (whole)
Gather the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Toast the walnuts in a dry pan over medium heat until fragrant. Set aside to cool.
In a large bowl combine the bananas, banana yogurt, eggs, oil, and vanilla.
Add the brown sugar and mix well.
In another large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, ground flaxseeds, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
Fold the toasted walnuts into the batter.
Pour into a greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Sprinkle the top of the bread with the whole flaxseeds. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool in the pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove the bread from the pan and cool completely before slicing and serving.
- Flaxseed can be purchased whole and ground. Whole flaxseed lasts longer, especially when stored in the refrigerator or freezer. Grind your own flaxseed using a spice or coffee grinder.