Fill your kitchen with the smells of the holiday season when you bake this healthy gingerbread cake. It's light in fat and calories, rich in flavor, and moist in texture. A square of this healthy gingerbread cake is only 128 calories, so you can be sure you're enjoying an almost guilt-free treat. When the cake has cooled, I like to dust the top with a little confectioners sugar.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, ginger, cinnamon and baking soda in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, stir together sugar, buttermilk, oil, molasses, and egg. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and stir well.
- Pour into baking pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Cut into 16 squares.
Per square: Calories 128, Calories from Fat 36, total Fat 3.9g (sat 0.3g), Cholesterol 13mg, Sodium 55mg, Carbohydrate 21.4, Fiber 0.4g, Protein 1.7g
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|