This healthier version of scalloped potatoes is lower in fat, vegetarian and vegan and completely dairy-free.
Scalloped potatoes are a classic creamy side dish. If you like scalloped potatoes but need a healthy, low-fat version, why not try it vegan and dairy free? It's still delicious, I promise! An added bonus? Like all vegan recipes, these scalloped potatoes are cholesterol-free! Top with extra vegan margarine or bread crumbs if desired, and maybe a touch of garlic salt, if you're anything like me!
If you need this recipe to be gluten-free, you can sub a gluten-free flour in for the regular flour. All the other ingredients are gluten-free.
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine (melted)
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium potatoes (thinly sliced)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika (sprinkle)
- Optional garnish: parsley sprigs or a bit of chopped fresh parsley (optional, but nice if you're cooking for others)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a little bit of the vegan margarine to lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Place the flour in a small bowl and add the salt and pepper, stirring to combine.
- Place 1/3 of the sliced potatoes along the bottom of the greased pan, followed by 1/3 of the onion, 1/3 of the remaining margarine, and half the flour.
- Repeat this layer with 1/3 of the potatoes, 1/3 of the onions, 1/3 of the margarine and the remaining flour. Top this with the rest of the potatoes, onions, and margarine.
- Pour the soy milk slowly into the pan. It should rise up just to almost cover the top layer. And finally, sprinkle the paprika over the top.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the potatoes are soft and the milk is thick. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Enjoy your healthy scalloped potatoes!
This vegan scalloped potatoes recipe is reprinted with permission from The Compassionate Cook Cookbook.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|