|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 29g||37%|
|Saturated Fat 12g||61%|
|Total Carbohydrate 43g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Don't be intimidated by the preparation time on this stew. It's quick to prepare and a cinch to make. Most of the time required is fully hands-off since the work is done by the slow cooker. In fact, this stew is one you can prepare the night before if that timing works better for you. Just put everything in the slow cooker and refrigerate the crock pot overnight. The next day, start it on high for an hour, then turn to low and cook for another 7 to 9 hours. By the time the chilly evening rolls around, dinner will be done!
Beer adds flavor to a hearty beef stew or pot roast. Use any beer you like to drink (and you can even serve the same beer with the finished stew). This beef stew is delicious on its own, served on top of hot buttered noodles or plain rice, or with a simple salad and buttered roll.
If you have a slow cooker with a sauté feature, feel free to brown the beef stew meat prior to slow cooking. Remove the meat, sauté the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery and then follow the rest of the directions. If your slow cooker does not have that function, don't worry. Follow the recipe and the stew will turn out delicious.
- 2 1/2 pounds lean beef stew meat (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 carrots (cut into 1-inch slices)
- 2 ribs celery (cut into 1/2-inch slices)
- 2 medium potatoes (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 cup beer
- 1 cup beef broth (or use all beer and no beef broth)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Gather the ingredients.
In the slow cooker crockery insert, combine the stew beef, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, beer, beef broth, salt, pepper, oregano, and tomato paste.
Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
Mix melted butter with flour until a smooth mixture forms.
Add this to the stew to thicken it. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Turn the slow cooker to HIGH and cook until the desired thickness is reached, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve right away and enjoy.
- Store any leftover stew in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. Heat it in the microwave or stove top.
- The beef stew can also be frozen. Consider freezing it in individual-sized portions for a quick grab-and-go lunch or dinner option. Simply defrost the stew in the fridge overnight and then heat it up in the microwave or stove top.