Made from scratch, this hearty chicken with noodles is a favorite comfort food. The recipe specifies egg noodles, but you may use your favorite type of pasta. The author uses the breast only in the soup and discards the rest, but I would save the meat for other recipes using cooked chicken.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions (cut into medium dice)
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds breast removed and split; remaining chicken cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoon salt (add more if necessary)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large carrot (peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 celery stalk (sliced 1/4-inch thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 2 cups (3 ounces) egg noodles
- Dash black pepper (ground, to taste)
- 1/4 cup parsley (minced)
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large soup kettle. Add half of the chopped onions and all chicken pieces (reserve breast). Saute until chicken is no longer pink, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until chicken releases its juices, about 20 minutes.
- Increase heat to high; add 2 quarts water along with whole chicken breast, 1 teaspoon salt and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer, then cover, reduce heat to low and barely simmer until chicken breast is cooked and broth is rich and flavorful, 20 minutes longer.
- Remove chicken breast from kettle; set aside. When cool enough to handle, remove the skin from breast, then remove meat from bones and shred into bite-size pieces; discard skin and bones. Strain broth into a large bowl and discard any remaining chicken pieces and bones.
- Skim fat from broth and reserve 2 tablespoons. (Broth and meat can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.)
- Return soup kettle to medium-high heat. Add reserved chicken fat. Add remaining onion, along with carrot and celery. Saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add thyme, broth, and shredded chicken. Simmer until vegetables are tender and flavors meld, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add noodles and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Adjust seasonings, adding salt, if necessary, and pepper, stir in parsley and serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||33 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|