A tasty vegetable beef soup recipe, made with meaty soup bones and vegetables. The soup is loaded with vegetables, making it a fabulous cold weather meal.
- 2 pounds beef soup bones (with meat, shanks)
- 7 cups water
- 1 can/10 1/2 ounces condensed beef broth (or homemade beef stock*)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 3/4 cup celery (chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (coarsely ground)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 14.5-ounce cans tomatoes (diced)
- 2 cups cabbage (shredded)
- 1 cup carrots (thinly sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups green beans (fresh cut or frozen)
- 1 1/2 cups potato (diced, raw)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Cut meat into small cubes, discarding excess fat. Put in a large stockpot with the bones, water, broth, salt, onions, celery, pepper, and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 3 hours.
Add remaining ingredients; simmer 45 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Remove bay leaf and serve.
Makes about 3 quarts.
*If you use homemade stock, use 3 cups of broth and 5 cups of water.