|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This is an easy to make pork stew, perfect for a fall or winter meal. Serve with crusty bread and a tossed salad.
- 1 pound lean pork (boneless shoulder)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (or water)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots (sliced 1/2 inch thickness)
- 1 bell pepper (green or red, cut in 1-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
Cut pork into 1-inch cubes, trimming and discarding fat.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook the pork, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
Stir in the onion and celery and cook for 2 minutes longer. Add the herbs, pepper, and broth or water.
Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for about 1 hour, or until pork is tender.
Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
Cover and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally.
You Might be Interested in: