|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 36g||46%|
|Saturated Fat 16g||80%|
|Total Carbohydrate 28g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||15%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Use chorizo or another spicy fresh sausage instead of Italian sausage, or make the tortellini soup with browned ground beef.
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 1 cup large onion (chopped)
- 2 large cloves garlic (chopped)
- 5 cups beef broth (preferably low sodium or unsalted)
- 2 cups tomatoes (diced and peeled, canned or fresh)
- 1 8-ounces can tomato sauce
- 1 medium zucchini (sliced)
- 1 large carrot (thinly sliced)
- 1 rib celery (sliced)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (diced)
- Optional: 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 8 to 10 ounces cheese tortellini
- 3 cups parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
In a heavy stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, saute the sausage until cooked through, breaking it up as it cooks. This will take about 10 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl. Pour off all but about 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan.
Add the onion and saute until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for another minute.
Return the browned sausage to the pan and add the beef broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, zucchini, carrot, bell pepper, celery, red wine, basil and oregano. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 35 to 45 minutes.
Add tortellini to soup and cook until it is tender, or about 8 to 10 minutes.
Season soup with salt and pepper, to taste.
Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Offer more Parmesan cheese at the table.
You Might Also Like