- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 1 cup large onion (chopped)
- 2 large cloves garlic (chopped)
- 5 cups beef broth (preferably low sodium or unsalted)
- 2 cups tomatoes (diced and peeled, canned or fresh)
- 1 8-ounces can tomato sauce
- 1 medium zucchini (sliced)
- 1 large carrot (thinly sliced)
- 1 rib celery (sliced)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (diced)
- Optional: 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 8 to 10 ounces cheese tortellini
- 3 cups parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- In a heavy stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, saute the sausage until cooked through, breaking it up as it cooks. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl. Pour off all but about 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan.
- Add the onion and saute until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for another minute.
- Return the browned sausage to the pan and add the beef broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, zucchini, carrot, bell pepper, celery, red wine, basil and oregano. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 35 to 45 minutes.
- Add tortellini to soup and cook until it is tender, or about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Season soup with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Offer more Parmesan cheese at the table.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||36 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||17 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
(The nutrition information on our recipes is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. Individual results may vary.)