|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 53g||67%|
|Saturated Fat 24g||118%|
|Total Carbohydrate 58g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Hashbrowns are a great side dish not just for eggs and bacon, but also roast beef or chicken. Our creamy casserole is easy to prep and bakes to crunchy perfection under a layer of tangy cheddar cheese and buttery bread crumbs. Serve our casserole as part of your brunch, or use it for a Sunday dinner or weeknight winter comfort food.
Use frozen hashbrowns for quicker preparation, and check our variations for different add-on ideas.
Our homemade white sauce can be used in other recipes, like baked chicken breasts covered in white sauce, cheese, and chives, or creamy pasta with white sauce, garlic, and Parmesan.
- 5 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 4 to 6 green onions
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup whole milk (or half-and-half)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 pound hash brown potatoes (frozen, Southern-style, or shredded)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Butter a 1-quart casserole.
In a saucepan, melt four tablespoons of butter, add green onions, and cook for one minute over medium-low heat.
Add the flour and stir to blend well. Cook, stirring, for two minutes.
Gradually stir in the chicken broth and milk.
Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Add in the salt, pepper, potatoes, and cheese. Remove from heat.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared greased baking dish.
Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter.
In a separate bowl, place the breadcrumbs, and drizzle the melted butter. Mix well.
Sprinkle the buttered bread crumbs over the casserole.
Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until hot and bubbly with a nicely browned top.
How to Thaw Frozen Hashbrown
- Put frozen hash browns in a shallow container and thaw them in the refrigerator overnight.
- To thaw quickly, microwave them in 40-second spans, stirring frequently. Pat dry with paper towels before using.
Add-Ons for a Hearty Casserole
Convert this side dish into a one-casserole dinner with our suggestions:
- Chicken and Peas: Add 2 cups of shredded chicken and one cup cooked frozen peas to the white sauce. If too thick, add 1/4 cup of chicken broth. Taste and season before mixing with potatoes. Cover with Cheddar cheese, or a mixture of Havarti and Mozzarella. Bake as directed.
- Ham and Spinach: Add 3 cups of finely chopped spinach to the white sauce and cook until the spinach is soft. Add 2 cups of cubed smoked ham, and mix with the potatoes. Cover with slices of provolone. Add 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning to the buttery breadcrumbs before topping the casserole. Bake as directed.
- Veggie: Add 1 cup of cooked cauliflower and 1 cup of cooked broccoli florets to the white sauce. Mix with the potatoes and add 1 cup of cubed mozzarella. Cover with Cheddar and buttery breadcrumbs. Bake as directed.