|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 12 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 2g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||4%|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||26%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This vegetable soup recipe is loaded with flavor, but that doesn't mean it is loaded with fat or calories. Boasting seven different vegetables and two kinds of beans, this hearty soup has a rich flavor, enhanced by basil and oregano, as well as a few drops of hot sauce. But don't let these amounts scare you away—this is basically an "add all ingredients and let cook" kind of recipe. A good strategy is to chop the vegetables the night before and then add to the crockpot the next morning. Imagine coming home from a long day at work to this delicious, healthy, and filling meal that everyone will love!
The soup can be made vegetarian by swapping out the chicken broth for vegetable broth, or you might add some browned diced or ground beef for a meaty soup.
This recipe is for a 5- to 6-quart cooker, but you can cut back the ingredients for a smaller crockpot. Serve with crusty bread and grated Parmesan cheese on the side if desired.
- Optional: 1 tablespoon oil plus 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 cups cabbage (chopped)
- 2 cups zucchini (chopped, or summer squash)
- 1 cup carrots (diced)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas (drained and rinsed well)
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed well)
- 1 (10-ounce) package spinach (frozen, thawed, and squeezed dry)
- 4 cups chicken broth (low sodium or unsalted)
- 4 cups tomato juice (or V-8)
- 2 teaspoons basil (dried, crushed)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- Optional: 3 to 5 drops hot sauce
- Optional: grated Parmesan cheese for serving
Gather the ingredients.
If desired, sauté the onion in a small amount of butter and oil before adding to slow cooker.
Add the onion to slow cooker, along with the remaining ingredients, except the cheese.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
Serve the soup with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
- This is the type of recipe you can eliminate or swap out vegetables that you don't care for, tailoring it to your taste, without sacrificing the soup's integrity. If you don't like zucchini, for example, throw in some bell pepper instead. Not a fan of cabbage? Don't include it. Don't have any celery in the fridge? Not to worry—your soup will still turn out great.
- If you enjoyed this crockpot vegetable soup and are looking for similar recipes, why not try a crock pot barley vegetable soup, a super healthy soup filled with vegetables like sweet potato, spinach, and corn, as well as fennel, which gives this recipe its unique flavor. Or perhaps a lentil soup made in the crockpot is what you are in the mood for—the bacon brings a nice smoky flavor to this simple recipe.