|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 20 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||36%|
|Total Carbohydrate 22g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||6%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These Hello Dolly bars—also known as seven-layer bars or magic cookie bars—are made with a combination of semisweet chocolate and butterscotch chips. The Hello Dolly name is a reference to the Broadway musical, "Hello, Dolly!" The bars are assembled in seven layers, and they are incredibly delicious. They go together like magic because drizzled condensed milk holds the layers together.
While these are a great treat for the holidays, you really don't need a special occasion to bake them. There's very little preparation involved since it's just a matter of layering ingredients and popping them in the oven.
You can change them up a bit by replacing the butterscotch chips with more chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, toffee chips, or white chocolate chips. There are lots of options on the market these days! Or make dulce de leche with sweetened condensed milk and drizzle that on the bars for added tastiness.
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 350 F.
Melt the butter and then combine it with the graham cracker crumbs in a bowl. Mix well. Pat the graham cracker crumb mixture in the bottom of a 13" x 9" baking pan.
Sprinkle the remaining ingredients over the crumbs in the order given, in layers: semisweet chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, flaked sweetened coconut, and chopped walnuts.
Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk over all. Don't stir, as you want the layers to be intact.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
Cool the pan on a rack and then cut into bars.
Serve and enjoy!
- Cook the sweetened condensed milk to make a caramel sauce for these bars. To make the caramel in a slow cooker, place a small towel on the bottom of the slow cooker and place the unopened can on the towel (to ensure the can does not stain the slow cooker). Add water to the slow cooker to a depth of 1 inch above the can. Cover the pot and cook on high for 2 hours. Reduce the heat to low and cook for about 4 to 5 hours longer.
- Alternatively, transfer the sweetened condensed milk to two small canning jars and cover tightly with the lids. Place them in the slow cooker, cover with water, and cook for 2 hours on high and 4 to 5 hours on low. Using jars, you can see the color of the caramel.
- You can store the bars at room temperature in a sealed container for up to three days, or in the refrigerator.
- Make these bars with 1 to 2 cups of semisweet chocolate chips and omit the butterscotch chips.
- Use white chocolate chips instead of butterscotch chips.