These hello Dolly bars—also known as 7 layer bars—are made with a combination of semisweet chocolate and butterscotch chips. The bars are assembled in seven layers, and they are incredibly delicious.
We look forward to making these for the holidays, but you really don't need a special occasion to bake them. There's very little preparation involved since it's just a matter of layering ingredients and popping them in the oven.
You can change them up a bit by replacing the butterscotch chips with more chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, or white chocolate chips. There are lots of options in the markets these days! We think toffee chips would be amazing. Or, make dulce de leche (caramel sauce) with the sweetened condensed milk (dulce de leche) and use that on the bars. We've included a simple caramel how-to below the recipe but plan in advance because you will have to let the milk cook over simmering water or in the oven for about 2 hours.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 8 whole graham crackers)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- 1 (15 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Melt the butter and then combine it with the graham cracker crumbs in a bowl. Mix well. Pat the graham cracker crumb mixture in the bottom of a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining ingredients over the crumbs in the order given, in layers.
- Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk over all. Do NOT stir.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes. Cool on a rack and then cut into bars.
Shared by Janet
Tips and Variations
- Original Hello Dolly Bars - Use 1 cup (or more) of semisweet chocolate chips and omit the butterscotch chips.
- Use white chocolate chips instead of butterscotch chips.
How to Make Caramel (Dulce De Leche) With Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Make dulce de leche (caramel sauce) with your sweetened condensed milk before using it on the bars!
Stovetop - Pour the sweetened condensed milk into the top of a double boiler. Bring water in the bottom pan to a simmer, turn the heat to low, and cook the sweetened condensed milk over the simmering water for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until it is thick and caramel-colored. Check the bottom pan occasionally and add more water if necessary. Beat until smooth.
Oven - Pour the sweetened condensed milk into a pie plate. Cover the pan with foil and put it in a large, shallow pan with about 1/2-inch of hot water. Bake in a preheated 425 F (220 C/Gas 7) oven for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until thick and caramel-colored.
Or make it with this easy slow cooker method!
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|