|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||41%|
|Total Carbohydrate 39g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|Total Sugars 34g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Brandy (or cognac, to be precise) does not make an appearance with hot chocolate often, and it's a shame because it is a fantastic combination. Of course, you could just pour hot chocolate over a shot of (Hennessy vs. cognac and call it done, but you would be missing out on a superior drink.
It is the spiced syrup and vanilla extract that take the Hennessy hot cocoa from average to outstanding. The cream top and nutmeg-chocolate garnish are just an added bonus that makes this drink indulgent and delicious.
1 1/2 ounces cognac
3/4 ounce spiced syrup
3 drops pure vanilla extract
5 ounces hot chocolate
1 ounce heavy cream
Grated nutmeg, for garnish
Grated dark chocolate, for garnish
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
In an Irish coffee glass or coffee mug, pour the brandy, spiced syrup, vanilla extract, and hot chocolate.
Layer the cream on top by pouring it over the back of a spoon.
Garnish with grated nutmeg and dark chocolate. Serve and enjoy.
- You can find spiced syrup at some stores or online from syrup companies like Monin. It's often made with brown sugar and winter season spices like cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg.
- It's also very easy to make your own brown sugar spiced syrup. This option can save some money, takes about an hour (including the time to let it cool), and you get the benefit of customizing the spice to perfectly suit your own taste.
- Choose your favorite hot chocolate (or cocoa) for this drink. You can go with an old-fashioned hot chocolate made with melted chocolate and milk or a quick powdered cocoa packet. Try a few recipes and methods and enjoy the adventure of discovering which you like most.
- Heat up your glass or mug before building this drink to ensure it stays warm to the last sip. To do so, pour hot water (from a teapot, for instance, not hot from the tap) into the glass and let it steam up while you make the cocoa. You can also place a water-filled glass in the microwave for about 10 seconds.
- Mix up and chill the hot chocolate then build the drink to create a delicious iced chocolate cocktail. Make a little extra hot chocolate and freeze it in ice cube trays so ice doesn't water down the drink.
- Rather than floating heavy cream on top, go ahead and use canned whipped cream if you like.
- A cinnamon stick, ground cinnamon, and mini marshmallows can be used as alternative garnishes.
- If you don't have pure vanilla extract at home, imitation vanilla will do just fine.
How Strong Is a Hennessy Hot Cocoa?
A perfectly relaxing spiked cocoa, this recipe creates a low-proof drink. It will vary depending on how much hot chocolate and cream you pour, but its alcohol content averages out around 7 percent ABV (14 proof). That's right between beer and wine, only this drink is far more delicious than both of those.