Broiled trout with fines herbes is one of my favorite last-minute meals. You can make your own fresh fines herbes mixture by finely chopping together chervil, chives, parsley and tarragon. But, to make this a truly speedy meal, use a good-quality dried fines herbes mix you find in the spice aisle of the supermarket.
This is a near- perfect quick, weeknight dinner. Total cooking and prep time shouldn't be more than 20 minutes, and that's only if the fillet has a lot of pin bones you want to pluck. In fact this meal is so quick there's barely time to microwave some Brussels sprouts or make a salad before it's done. The fines herbes complement the trout perfectly. (Note: Salmon also works for this meal.) (Larger image.)
Here are more Cooking for Two trout recipes:
- Trout Meuniere Recipe
- Broiled Trout with Lemon Cream Sauce Recipe
And here are recipes for side dishes that would go well with the fish:
- Rice Pilaf with Mushrooms & Sausage Recipe
- Tabbouleh Recipe
- Sautéed Broccoli Rabe Recipe
- 2 6 oz. trout (fillets pin bones removed)*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Fines herbes (you can find this mixture in the spice section at your grocery stores)**
- 2 pinches salt (kosher)
- 1/2 lemon (quartered)
1. Set oven to broil and place a rack on the top level.
2. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and brush it with olive oil.
3. Lay filets skin-side down on the baking sheet.
4. Brush filets with olive oil, sprinkle each with Fines Herbes, and dust lightly with a pinch of Kosher salt.
5. Broil on top rack for 4 to 4 1/2 minutes (5 to 6 minutes for salmon filets) depending on thickness.
Serve with a couple of lemon quarters
*Note: You can find any pin bones by placing the flat of your index finger at the top of the filet in the thickest part and pulling it toward the tail. I use a small set of needle-nose pliers to remove these bones.
**Note: I particularly like the tarragon in the Fines Herbes mixture with the trout, but Herbes de Provence and Italian herb mixtures are also good.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|