Creamy, frosty smoothies are the fastest, easiest on-the-go breakfast fare on the planet. A few simple, healthy ingredients and a blender and you have the perfect busy morning breakfast.
Smoothies can be extremely nutritious, depending on what you put in them of course! Smoothies loaded with sugar and fruit aren't necessarily healthy and they're loaded with carbs.
Our strawberry flax smoothie is made with plain Greek yogurt, a super source of complete proteins. We've added a healthy dose of one tablespoon of fresh ground organic flax meal and we sweeten our smoothie with stevia, a low calorie natural substitute for sugar.
- 1/2 cup yogurt (plain fat-free Greek; I used Fage brand)
- 1/2 cup strawberries (frozen)
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds (golden, freshly ground)
- Optional: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon stevia (to taste. I use pure Stevia extract powder which contains zero fillers. Add a little at a time to determine the amount that is best for you)
- 1/2 cup water (spring, cold)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Place Greek yogurt, frozen berries, flax, vanilla, stevia and water in blender pitcher. Pulse until smooth and creamy. If the mixture is too thick add more water, one tablespoon at a time.
- Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
2.3 grams fat
13 grams carbohydrates
13 grams protein
43 mg sodium
3.5 grams fiber