This popular holiday potato casserole is an excellent choice for a special occasion meal or Sunday dinner. The potatoes are mashed and combined with cream cheese, Parmesan, and cheddar, along with chopped vegetables and pimientos.
- 3 pounds potatoes (peeled & quartered)
- 1 1/2 sticks butter (6 ounces)
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened (two 3-ounce packages)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (sharp or mild, shredded, divided)
- 1 jar (2 ounces) chopped pimiento (drained, or about 1/4 cup of finely chopped red bell pepper)
- 1 small green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 6 green onions (scallions, finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Put the quartered potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Add about 1 teaspoon per quart of water. Cover the pan and place it over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook until the potatoes are tender. Drain, transfer to a large bowl and mash.
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4). Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Add butter and cream cheese to the potatoes. With an electric mixer, beat until well blended. Do not overbeat. Add 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and next 6 ingredients and stir to blend thoroughly.
- Spoon the potatoes into the prepared baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until the potatoes are hot and bubbling around the edges.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese; bake for about 5 minutes longer, or until cheese melts.
Make it Ahead
- To make ahead, prepare the casserole the night before, except for the cheese topping.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Take the casserole out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking time.
- Bake as directed until hot, adding the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese about 5 minutes before it's done.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||50 g|
|Saturated Fat||29 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|