This poultry brine adds that great seasonal flavor with candied ginger and allspice. Try it on your next holiday turkey.
- 1 1/4 cups/300 mL salt (2 cups Kosher or coarse salt)
- 1/2 cup/120 mL (brown sugar)
- 1 gallon/3.8 L stock (vegetable)
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL allspice berries
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL candied ginger
- 1 gallon/3.8 L water (icy)
Pour vegetable stock into a large pot over a high heat. Add salt, brown sugar, and spices. Bring to a light boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Pour in ice water and stir to combine.
Place turkey in a large plastic container (at least 4 gallons). Pour brine over top. Refrigerate and brine for 1 hour per pound.
Thoroughly rinse all the brine from the turkey before cooking. Otherwise, there will be a salty flavor to the turkey. Read more details on brining a turkey.