Homa Dashtaki understands the important role food has in sustaining a culture. As an immigrant, cooking and food became the most useful tools in helping her make sense of her identity, her Iranian history, and her sense of belonging in America.
After the 2009 financial crash, Homa accidentally found herself starting a yogurt company with her father, employing traditional recipes and techniques her family has used for generations. What started as a quiet bonding activity with her family has blossomed into a successful food brand. Her Zoroastrian ethos has guided every decision The White Moustache Yogurt Company has made and it has become a celebrated advocate of sustainable food production and the prevention of food waste.
Since 2011, The White Moustache artisanal yogurt and whey have garnered acclaim from the New York Times, Vogue, Bon Appétit, and Food & Wine. Homa’s first book, Yogurt & Whey: Recipes of an Iranian Immigrant Life was published by Norton in March 2023.
- Owner of White Moustache Yogurt, operating out of Brooklyn NY, since 2013
- Author of Yogurt & Whey: Recipes of an Iranian American Life
- Food Waste advocate and innovator
- Keynote Speaker at Food Tank Conference, 2018
- Member of both the California and New York Bar (the legal thing)
- B.A. in Comparative Literature at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- JD/LLM in Comparative and International Law from Cornell University
About The Spruce Eats
The Spruce Eats, a Dotdash brand, is a food and drink website offering more than 15,000 tested recipes, 1,200 how-to videos, informative articles, trustworthy product recommendations, and the inspiration to help you make your best meal. Learn more about us and our editorial process.