|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This is a tasty stew, made with flavorful meaty beef shanks and loads of different vegetables. This recipe uses celery, onion, corn, lima beans, potatoes, and turnips.
Beef shanks are sometimes called soup bones. They include meat, fat, and bones and are inexpensive. They will add flavor and body to this hearty stew. However, you will have the step of removing the meat to discard the bones and excess fat during the cooking process. If you can't find beef shanks, or you'd prefer to skip that step, use about 1 pound or so of beef stew meat.
- 2 to 3 beef shanks, about 2 pounds
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can condensed French onion soup
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup celery (sliced)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (sliced, about 1 to 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 to 3 medium potatoes (red-skinned, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces, about 2 to 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium white turnip (cubed, about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- Optional: 1/2 cup frozen lima beans (or baby limas)
- Optional: 12 cup frozen English peas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt (or Creole seasoning)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
In a stockpot or Dutch oven, combine the beef shanks, broth, onion soup, water, celery, and onion. Bring it to a simmer and cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Cover and cook over low heat for about 45 to 60 minutes.
Add the carrots, potatoes, and white turnip to the pot. Cook for 20 minutes longer.
Remove the beef and cut it up. Discard the fat and bones. Return the cut-up beef to the stockpot.
Add the corn, Lima beans, and seasonings to the stockpot. Cover and cook for about 45 minutes, or until Lima beans are tender.
Add peas, if using.
Combine the flour and water and stir to make a smooth paste; stir it into the stew mixture.
Continue to cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 to 20 minutes, until thickened.
Taste and adjust the seasonings.
This stew is a complete meal in a pot, but you may want to start with a leafy green salad to round it out for flavor and texture. Crusty bread or rolls are also enjoyable to have with stew. A beef stew can be enjoyed with a hearty red wine or a stout beer.
You can modify this recipe for the crock pot if you prefer, adding all of the ingredients (except peas) at the beginning. Add the peas about 20 minutes before it's ready and remove the bones and fat before thickening the sauce.