Did you grow up eating mini pizza bagels from the frozen food aisle, quickly zapped in the microwave or crisped in the oven after school? Do you have the commercial jingle stuck in your head right now? If you're longing for a taste from the past or have kids that inhale the mini snack, then whip up some homemade Bagel Bites. They're quick, easy, and best of all, you can control the ingredients and customize the toppings.
These homemade Bagel Bites only take a few minutes to throw together and they even freeze great. Toast the sliced bagels, add the toppings, and freeze them on a cookie sheet instead of baking. Once solid, wrap and store in a freezer bag or container. You can bake as many or as few as you like for a lunch or after-school snack that's ready in 10 minutes flat.
- 1 package mini bagels (10 bagels, split)
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or Italian cheese blend, about 12 ounces)
- Optional: 20 pepperonis
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 425 F. Arrange the bagels on two baking sheets, cut-size up. Place in the oven as it preheats for about 5 minutes, or until the bagels feel toasted but aren't yet browned.
Top each bagel with about a tablespoon of tomato sauce, spreading lightly to cover.
Top each bagel with cheese followed by one pepperoni (if using).
Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges of the bagels are toasted and the cheese is bubbly.
Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- These homemade Bagel Bites freeze just like the real thing, too! Follow the recipe as written but skip the final bake. Once they are assembled, place the unbaked mini pizza bagels on a baking sheet and stick it in the freezer for about 3 hours. Once frozen through, wrap each bagel in plastic wrap and place in freezer bags or containers. They'll keep for up a few months.
- To bake frozen mini pizza bagels, preheat the oven to 425 F and place the bagels on a baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the edges are toasted and the cheese is bubbly.
- These mini pizza bagels are delicious using any of your favorite toppings. Swap or add to the pepperoni with cooked sausage, bacon, ham, or thin-sliced mushrooms, olives, peppers, onion, and more.
- Make cheeseburger pizza bites by swapping the mozzarella for mild cheddar and the pepperoni for cooked ground beef.
- Make spinach-artichoke pizza bites by leaving off the tomato sauce and topping with chopped spinach, artichoke hearts, and garlic followed by a mix of mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Mini bagels are available at many supermarkets, but if you can't find them, this recipe also works with regular-sized bagels (it will make about 8 large pizza bagels).