|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 16 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||18%|
|Total Carbohydrate 16g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Fresh blueberries make these tender, buttery scones a wonderful morning treat. They're easy to mix and bake, and they're perfect for a family snack or special brunch. Sprinkle the tops with sugar or vanilla sugar and serve with butter, preserves, lemon curd, or a flavored cream cheese spread.
Scones are similar to biscuits in preparation. Just remember to work the dough as little as possible and you'll have tender, light, and delicious scones. If you're using fresh blueberries, be sure to freeze them before you start the scones.
- 2 cups cake flour, 8 1/2 ounces
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter (cut into small pieces)
- 2/3 cup whipping cream (or heavy cream, plus more for tops)
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup frozen blueberries ((do not thaw), or fresh blueberries)
- Optional topping: vanilla sugar or granulated sugar
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat the oven to 400 F (200 C/Gas 6). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to blend thoroughly. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the flour mixture. Work in with a pastry blender and fingers until well incorporated and the mixture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl, whisk the 2/3 cup of cream with the egg and vanilla. Stir the cream mixture into the dry ingredients just until ingredients are moistened. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and gently knead frozen blueberries in, a few at a time, folding over and adding a few more. Work the dough as little as possible. Divide the dough into 2 portions and pat into circles about 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick. Cut each circle into 8 wedges. Arrange on the parchment paper. Brush each scone lightly with cream and sprinkle with sugar, if desired. Bake for 11 to 14 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Serve the scones warm with lemon curd, butter, a cream cheese spread, blueberry jam, or your favorite fruit preserves.