This delicious homemade chicken and biscuit casserole recipe is surprisingly easy to prepare and it cooks quickly.
The pictured dish was made with 2 large chicken breast halves, but cooked leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken may be used. If you use leftover chicken, make the sauce with a good quality chicken stock.
You'll end up with enough biscuits to save or freeze for another meal.
- For the Chicken:
- 2 large chicken breast halves (bone-in)
- 3 cups
- chicken broth
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup
- all-purpose flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup
- heavy cream (or whipping cream)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups frozen peas (cooked; or peas and carrots)
- Dash salt (or to taste)
- Dash pepper (or to taste)
- For the Biscuits:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream (or whipping cream)
- Put the chicken in a large saucepan with the chicken broth, onion, thyme, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and continue cooking at a low simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Remove the chicken from the broth; reserve the broth and set aside. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones and chop coarsely or shred.
- Grease an 8 or 9-inch baking dish or spray it with nonstick cooking spray. Heat the oven to 375 F.
- Put the chicken in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the cooked peas or peas and carrots over the chicken in the baking dish.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minute. Gradually add the 2 cups of chicken broth and continue cooking until thickened, stirring frequently. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of heavy cream to the sauce. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables in the baking dish.
Prepare the Biscuits
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon of salt, sugar (optional), and parsley. Blend well.
- With a fork, stir in the heavy cream until moistened. Turn the dough mixture out onto a floured surface and, with floured hands, knead 3 or 4 times, just until the dough holds together.
- Pat into a circle about 1/2 inch thick and cut out with 1 3/4 to 2-inch biscuit cutters.
- Arrange the biscuits over the hot chicken and sauce mixture in the baking dish.
- Gather the dough scraps together and cut out more biscuits, placing on the chicken mixture or on a greased baking sheet or pan. Repeat until all of the dough is used. You may also freeze extra raw, cut-out biscuits on the baking sheet. Put the frozen biscuits in a freezer bag and bake them at another time.
- Bake the chicken and biscuits and the plain biscuits until browned, about 20 to 24 minutes. Serves 4.
- Serve this dish with a tossed salad for a tasty family dinner.
Note: To add more flavor to your chicken broth, add a teaspoon of chicken bouillon granules or chicken base, or use part condensed chicken broth in the cooking liquid. Don't add salt until the sauce has thickened.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||40 g|
|Saturated Fat||18 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|