Homemade ice cream without an ice cream maker? That's right! This recipe for homemade coconut ice cream is similar to the street 'ices' that can be purchased from street-side vendors in Thailand and other Southeast Asian countries. If you've had this kind of ice cream before, you'll know it's more like a cross between ice cream and sorbet -- it's lighter and not as creamy as we're used to in the West, but has a deliciousness of its own, and is much simpler to make. Also, unlike most homemade ice cream recipes, it doesn't involve a lot of stirring once you've put it in the freezer. With tons of delicious coconut flavor and healthier than a lot of store-bought ice creams, serve up a scoop or two for the perfect summertime treat. Even better, top with slices of mango and a dollop of coconut liqueur for a nice adult treat any time of the year.
- Prepare a container with a lid in which to freeze the ice cream. Large yogurt containers work well (you'll need several), or you can reuse a plastic ice cream tub.
- Place the eggs and sugar in a food processor, mixer, or blender. Process about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Pour this mixture into the top of a double-boiler and place over medium-high heat.
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring continuously with a whisk until the mixture thickens and becomes creamy (it should look like custard). Place in the refrigerator to cool.
- Pour heavy cream into your food processor, blender, or mixer. Blitz until cream becomes very thick and stiff peaks form (approximately 1 minute). Scoop into a large mixing bowl.
- Fold coconut milk plus flaked coconut (if using) into the whipped cream, stirring to combine.
- Now add the cooked egg/sugar mixture from the refrigerator. Also add the flavoring (vanilla/coconut), gently stirring everything together by hand. You should end up with a thick, white batter-like mixture. Pour into prepared container(s). Set in the freezer and allow to freeze at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- To serve, dip an ice cream scoop in warm water and scoop the ice cream into bowls. For extra coconut flavor, top with a little sweetened flaked coconut.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||52 g|
|Saturated Fat||37 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|