You can make a drink akin to Tia Maria or Kahlua at home. This coffee liqueur recipe is easily customized to personal tastes by varying the level of coffee, sugar or vanilla. It's also less expensive than store-bought coffee liqueurs.
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 two-inch piece of vanilla bean
- 8 tablespoons quality instant coffee
- 750-milliliter bottle of rum or vodka
- Combine the vanilla bean, sugar, and water in a saucepan.
- Boil until the volume has been cut in half or about 30 minutes.
- Add 8 tablespoons quality instant coffee and allow the mixture to cool.
- In a sealable glass jar or bottle, combine the simple syrup (sugar solution) and rum or vodka. Shake well and let sit in a cool, dark area for 10 days.
- After 10 days, strain the liqueur through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth. Store in a sealed liquor bottle.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|