|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Makes 1 Cup (6 Servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||16%|
|Total Carbohydrate 11g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Until food companies finally begin to use BPA (Bisphenol A) free cans, prepare your cream soups from scratch and use fresh and frozen vegetables. Make this simple cream soup base to use in your main dish and side dish casseroles instead of condensed cream soups. Feel free to add chopped cooked mushrooms or herbs to this soup base for different flavors.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup low-fat or fat-free milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Gather the ingredients.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in flour; keep stirring until smooth and bubbly.
- Remove the pan from heat and slowly add the chicken broth and milk while stirring or whisking to keep the mixture smooth.
- Return the pan to heat. Bring the sauce to a gentle boil and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until it has thickened. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed to taste.
- Use in casseroles in place of condensed cream soups.
- This cream soup base can be varied by using vegetable broth, sauteéd chopped celery, celery seed, or sauteéd chopped mushrooms. Add herbs and or seasonings, as desired.
You Might Also Like
More Food Substitutes