Make these tortillas fresh yourself and taste the difference! These homemade tortillas are flour, not corn like some Mexican recipes call for.
- With a pastry blender or back of a fork, blend flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening, until it resembles coarse meal.
- When well combined, slowly add water until soft dough forms. Add additional warm water as necessary.
- Knead for 5 minutes.
- Separate into 12 portions for small tortillas and 6 portions for large tortillas. Heat a comal or griddle over medium heat.
- Roll each ball of dough out into a round shape, approx. 1/8 inch thick.
- Place each raw tortilla on the hot comal and cook on each side for about 1 minute. If it puffs up at all, you can poke a hole in the puffed area to release the steam. Cook it until it is no longer doughy.
- Remove from the comal and place onto a plate covered with a towel. Use the edges of the towel to pull over the tortillas as you cook them, to keep them warm.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|