I could eat my weight in hummus, a high protein, fiber rich dip made from garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas). Silky smooth, flavorful, healthy...what's not to love?
This naturally gluten-free recipe for homemade hummus is fast and easy to make in a food processor and an economical alternative to store-bought hummus.
Chickpeas, tahini (sesame paste), lemon juice, garlic, and parsley are pulsed with a food processor until the ingredients come together. Olive oil and desired amount of Aquafaba ("juice" reserved from the can of chickpeas) are slowly added to the running food processor until hummus is silky smooth and reaches desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper and drizzle olive oil and parsley over top as a final garnish.
This basic hummus recipe is like a blank canvas. Mix in additional herbs, vegetables, and seasoning to flavor the hummus in delicious, creative ways.
For a super silky smooth hummus, I take ten minutes and remove the skins from each garbanzo bean. It sounds like a tedious task, but it goes by quickly, especially if you have extra hands to help you (get the kids involved!) The hummus texture is so much smoother without the skins, dreamy and silky. It's certainly not a necessary step, but if you've never made hummus without the skins before, give it a try and see which you prefer!
- 4 15-ounce cans garbanzo beans aka chickpeas (liquid reserved)
- 3/4 cup Tahini Paste (sesame seed butter)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 6 tbsp minced parsley + 1 tbsp (reserved for garnish)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp coriander (ground)
- 1 tbsp cumin (ground)
- 2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- Ground pepper (to taste)
- Place chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and parsley in a bowl of a food processor. Pulse until ingredients are coarsely chopped and come together.
- With the food processor running, slowly add the olive oil.
- Add the coriander and cumin. Pulse again until smooth. If needed, add some reserved chickpea liquid until hummus reaches desired consistency.
- Scoop hummus into a separate bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with a light drizzle of olive oil and additional tbsp chopped parsley.
- Serve with gluten-free crackers or sliced fresh veggies (flavors are enhanced overnight).
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|