Grenadine is a syrup flavored with pomegranates. It may or may not contain alcohol. You can easily make your own non-alcoholic grenadine syrup at home with this recipe.
- 2 1/4 pounds pomegranates
- 1 pint water
- 1/2 pint sugar (more or less as needed; see instructions)
- Optional: red food coloring, optional
- Separate the pomegranate seeds from the membranes and skin.
- In a heavy saucepan, cover pomegranate seeds with 1 pint of water and simmer, stirring until juice sacs release their juice, about 5 minutes.
- Pour through a cheesecloth-layered sieve into a bowl, pressing the juice from the seeds. Discard seeds.
- Measure the strained pomegranate juice and add an equal amount of sugar.
- Pour into saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Add food coloring, if using. Pour into a decorative stoppered bottle.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|