Make your own fresh and creamy mascarpone cheese at home the Italian way. Plan ahead, as this recipe will need refrigeration at least 12 hours before using. This cheese should be used within a week of making, or it may good bad before you can use it.
Giuliano Bugialli's Classic Techniques of Italian Cooking (Fireside)
- 1 quart heavy cream (pasteurized)
- 1/4 teaspoon tartaric acid
- Pour cream into a Pyrex saucepan and fit over another pot, creating a bagnomaria (double boiler). Bring the cream to a temperature of 180 F and remove from the heat. Stir with a wooden spoon for 30 seconds and then remove the Pyrex from the bagnomaria and keep stirring for 2 minutes more. Add the tartaric acid.
- Line a basket with heavy cheesecloth and pour in the cream. Let the mascarpone stand for 12 hours in a cool place or the lower level of your refrigerator. Cut four 9-inch squares of heavy cheesecloth. Open one on the table.
- With a large spoon, transfer 1/4 of the mascarpone to the center of the square. Fold one side on top and then fold over the other side, then fold over both ends. Put the package of mascarpone, folded side down, on a serving dish. Prepare the remaining 3 squares in the same way. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours before using.