This simple slow cooker homemade potato soup is a surprisingly easy preparation, and the slow cooker makes cooking nearly hands-free.
Feel free to add bacon or ham to the soup, or make it vegetarian with vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. See the tips and variations for more ideas. The recipe calls for bouillon or base.
Serve the potato soup with a salad or sandwich for a fabulous everyday lunch or dinner.
- 6 medium red-skinned potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced or diced
- 2 large ribs celery, sliced, including some leaves
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes or equivalent chicken base*
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley flakes, plus more for garnish, if desired
- 5 cups water (or omit the chicken bouillon and use chicken or vegetable broth)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 (12 ounces) can of evaporated milk or light cream
- In the slow cooker, combine the cubed potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, chicken bouillon or base, parsley, and water.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the butter and evaporated milk for about 30 minutes before serving time; taste and add kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed.
- Garnish servings with fresh chopped parsley or sliced green onion tops.
- Serve the soup in bowls with crackers or croutons.
*Or replace the water with 5 cups of chicken stock (low sodium or unsalted) and omit the bouillon or base.
Tips and Variations
- Cook 4 to 6 strips of bacon. Drain and crumble. Add the bacon to the soup when you add the milk.
- Dice about 6 ounces of smoked sausage. Brown it in a small amount of oil in a skillet and add to the soup.
- Add about 1/2 cup of diced cooked ham to the soup mixture along with the vegetables.
- Sprinkle servings with fresh chopped parsley, green onion tops, or chives.
- Add 1 to 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese along with the milk, or top servings with shredded cheese.
- Replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth for a vegetarian potato soup.
- Add chopped spinach or kale to the soup for additional color and nutrients.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||23 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|