This red velvet cake recipe is made with butter, eggs, vanilla, red gel food coloring, cocoa, buttermilk, and other ingredients. A favorite red velvet cake recipe with cooked frosting, or use a homemade or ready-made cream cheese frosting for this popular cake.
Use gel or paste food coloring for the most vivid color.
- 12 tablespoons butter (or 1 1/2 sticks, softened)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cupsall-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (granulated)
- 2 tablespoons food coloring (red, gel or paste, plus 2 tablespoons water)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa (unsweetened)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Cooked Frosting:
- 1 cup milk (or cream)
- 1/3 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar (granulated; superfine is ideal)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Generously grease and flour three 8-inch round layer cake pans or two 9-inch cake pans.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat 1 minute longer. Beat in vanilla until blended. Combine cocoa, food coloring, and 2 tablespoons water; beat into the egg creamed mixture. Combine flour and salt. Alternate adding flour and buttermilk mixtures to the batter, beating on low to medium speed. Combine soda and vinegar in a cup and add to cake batter. Spoon batter evenly into the 3 cake pans; bake at 350° F for 22 to 28 minutes. Cool on cake racks. Remove from pans and frost tops and sides.
- In a saucepan, whisk together the 1/3 cup flour and milk and cook, stirring, until thickened; cool in the refrigerator. Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla with mixer. Add flour and milk mixture a little at a time (make ahead of cake so that it has plenty of time to cool). Beat well for several minutes or until the mixture is not grainy, adding milk (or cream) as needed. Frost layers, sides, and top of the cake.
Bundt Cake Conversion: Bake the cake in a generously greased and floured 12 to 15-cup Bundt cake pan, but allow more time. Check for doneness with a long wooden or bamboo skewer. It could take up to twice as long to bake. Use a thin cake glaze to ice a Bundt cake.
To make superfine sugar from granulated sugar, measure the amount you need for the frosting into a food processor. Process for about 2 minutes, or until the grains are quite fine. Let the dust settle before you lift the lid off the food processor.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|