No store bought salsa can compete with a fresh homemade salsa. The ingredients for this salsa get fired up on the grill to add great flavor and make a really great salsa.
- 8 medium sized, firm tomatoes, halves and stems removed
- 1 large onion, skinned and halved
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 3 Anaheim peppers
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL olive oil
- juice of one large lime
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 mL salt
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 black pepper
Gather the ingredients.
Combine olive oil, salt, and pepper in a large resealable bag. Add onion and tomatoes. Gently turn to coat.
Place onions, cut side down on a preheated grill over a medium fire. Grill until they start to brown.
Add tomatoes. Grill tomatoes until the skin can be lifted off easily.
Remove tomatoes and onions from grill.
Finely chop and add remaining ingredients.
Refrigerate until cool.
Salsa will stay fresh for up to 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.