These soft and delicious slider buns are perfect for sliders and small burgers or appetizer sandwiches, whether for a lunch, dinner, or parties. This recipe makes about 24 to 26 ounces of dough.
Divide the dough into eighteen 1 1/2-ounce pieces, which is a perfect size for 2-ounce burgers or these meatloaf sliders. Or make twenty-four 1-ounce rolls for smaller appetizer size sandwiches or burgers. They're great for pulled pork or shredded beef sandwiches as well.
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (about 110 F)
- 2/3 cup milk (room temperature)
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons butter (melted and cooled slightly)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (dip and sweep method, 15 ounces)
- For the Egg Wash:
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds (or poppy seeds)
- Combine the yeast and warm water in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Let the mixture stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.
- Whisk the milk, the large egg, and melted butter together to blend. Add the milk mixture to the yeast mixture along with the sugar, salt, and flour.
- Knead the dough by hand or machine for 8 to 10 minutes, adding a little more flour if necessary to keep the dough from sticking to hands, counter-top, or the sides of the bowl. The dough should be smooth and elastic at this point.
- Generously grease a large bowl with butter or oil. Gather the dough into a ball and place it into the greased bowl. Turn over a few times to coat the dough thoroughly. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in bulk.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease the pan.
- Punch down and pat the dough into a rectangle. Cut into 18 pieces, about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 ounces each. Shape the dough pieces into firm balls, flatten slightly with your hand, and place on the parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Cover the pan of buns with a lightweight kitchen towel and let rise in a draft-free place for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- For the egg wash, combine the egg white with 1 tablespoon of water. Whisk to blend. Just before the buns are ready to go into the oven, brush with the egg wash mixture. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|