This homemade turkey sausage is made with half ground turkey breast and half ground turkey thighs, making the sausage patties flavorful, juicy, and relatively low in fat and calories when compared to pork sausages.
The sausage is also a little lower in fat and calories than some purchased turkey sausages. If you like spicy sausage, add extra cayenne pepper to the mixture.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey (half turkey breasts and half turkey thighs)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (use 1/4 teaspoon if you like a spicy sausage)
Gather the ingredients.
Combine everything and mix well to blend thoroughly.
Wetting your hands frequently to prevent the sausage from sticking, shape the mixture into 1 1/2- to 2-ounces sausages, or as desired.
Heat a griddle or large skillet and cook the sausages, turning to brown both sides, for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until thoroughly cooked. The minimum safe temperature for ground poultry is 165 F/73.9 C.
Serve immediately or transfer the sausage patties to food storage bags and freeze.