A homemade vegetarian and vegan black bean chili recipe. Using pre-cooked black beans and tomato sauce from a can makes this vegetarian chili recipe super-easy and relatively quick to make. Perfect for a cold winter night when you need a soothing, warming and filling home-cooked homemade meal fast. Add some leftover rice, leftover quinoa, or whip up some instant rice and a green salad, and you've got yourself a complete meal.
This vegetarian chili recipe is a great idea for a weeknight vegan dinner. Curious about more chili recipes? This black bean chili with sweet potatoes is quite popular here on TheSpruce, and vegetarian chili made with tofu is also a favorite, if you like tofu (and if you don't, here's why you SHOULD like tofu!).
The recipe calls for everything to be simmered together for twenty minutes. If you're short on time, you can even skimp a bit, and if you have more time, give it a few more minutes to allow all the flavors to more fully develop.
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans (undrained)
- 1 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sautee onions and garlic in oil until onions turn clear, about 5 minutes.
- Carefully add in the tomato sauce and black beans and reduce the heat to medium low. Add the cumin, cayenne pepper and chili powder and stir to combine well.
- Cover and allow to simmer at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Enjoy your homemade vegetarian black bean chili!
Got leftovers? Here's how to use up leftover chili.
More Homemade Vegetarian and Vegan Chili Recipes:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||23 g|