A homemade vegetarian and vegan black bean chili recipe. Using pre-cooked black beans and tomato sauce from a can makes this vegetarian chili recipe super-easy and relatively quick to make. Add some leftover rice, leftover quinoa, or whip up some instant rice and a green salad, and you've got yourself a complete meal.
The recipe calls for everything to be simmered together for twenty minutes. If you're short on time, you can even skimp a bit, and if you have more time, give it a few more minutes to allow all the flavors to more fully develop.
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans (undrained)
- 1 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sautee onions and garlic in oil until onions turn clear, about 5 minutes.
- Carefully add in the tomato sauce and black beans and reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the cumin, cayenne pepper, and chili powder and stir to combine well.
- Cover and allow to simmer at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Enjoy your homemade vegetarian black bean chili!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||23 g|