This Thanksgiving, try making your own homemade tofu turkey, complete with vegetarian stuffing inside. There are a few different steps involved, though the process is very simple. A homemade tofu turkey will be the pride and joy of your vegetarian or vegan Thanksgiving celebration!
- 5 blocks firm or extra-firm tofu,
- well pressed
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable broth powder
- 2 tablespoons
- Poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups prepared vegetarian stuffing, any kind
- Working in batches as needed, process the tofu in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Add the tofu to a large mixing bowl, and stir in the fresh chopped sage, thyme, rosemary, vegetable broth powder and poultry seasoning, stirring well to combine.
- Line a colander with cheesecloth or a thin towel.
- Place the tofu in the colander, and a layer of cheesecloth or a thin towel on top. Place a weight on top of the towel to gently press the tofu.
- Place on a plate or towel and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Once the tofu is chilled and firm, scoop out the tofu in the middle, creating a hole or a well, and leaving about 1 1/2 inches of a tofu "shell" in the colander.
- Gently pat your stuffing into the "well", then gently press the extra tofu on top.
- Carefully invert your tofu turkey onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, red wine, Dijon mustard and soy sauce, and baste or brush the tofu generously.
- Bake for about 90 minutes at 350 F, basting again every 15 minutes.
- Serve your tofu turkey with vegetarian gravy and a side of vegetarian stuffing.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||46 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||21 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|