"I was never a big fan of honey cake growing up," says Giora Shimoni, "so for years I made Apple Cake for Rosh Hashanah instead of the traditional honey cake. One year I experimented, however, and came up with this recipe. My kids all like it, so now my apple cake will have company at the holiday table."
- Preheat the oven to 325 F/160 C. Oil a 9x13 baking pan or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Dissolve coffee into hot water. Set aside to cool.
- Using an electric mixer or wire whisk, mix the applesauce, brown sugar and honey, eggs, and oil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In 3 alternating additions, add the flour mixture and coffee to the wet ingredients. Mix after each addition just until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a toothpick or knife inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|